Comprehensive Eye Exams
It's About More Than Just Blurry Vision. Eye Exams Are Vital to Your Overall Health
At Vision Clinic, we believe in a holistic approach to eye care. We’re not just here to get your prescription, there’s so much more at stake. Our optometrists will always test for common eye diseases, check how your eyes function together, and look for early warning signs for chronic conditions.
Did You Know? Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension are often first detected in an eye checkup.
What Does a Comprehensive Eye Exam Include?
Your medical history will guide the exact tests, here's what you can typically expect when you come to see us for an exam:
- Visual Acuity: Assess the sharpness of your vision with a classic eye chart.
- Spot the Blind Spots: Discover hidden blind spots with our visual fields test.
- Retinoscopy & Refraction: This is what we use to get your eyeglass prescription.
- Disease Detection: Slit lamp tests and retinal photo screenings will help us detect common eye diseases and diabetic reginopathy.
- Glaucoma Test: A tonometry test will help us determine the pressure inside your eyes.
- Ophthalmoscopy: We’ll look at the back of your eyes to check the health of your optic nerves, retina, and blood vessels.
How Often Should I Get an Eye Exam?
We recommend getting eye exams yearly, but it depends on your age, eye health, risk factors, and whether or not you wear corrective lenses.
- Kids: The American Optometric Association (AOA) suggests children get their eyes checked at 6 months, 3 years, when school starts (kindergarten), and then every two years until they are 18.
- Adults: The AOA recommends a comprehensive eye exam at least every two years until the age of 60. At 61+ it is recommended annually.
What About Contact Lenses?
Comprehensive exams don't typically cover contact fittings. But give us a heads-up, and we'll make sure that’s a part of your appointment.
Find A Location
Our five offices in Southwest Missouri provide easy access to exceptional care right in your own community.
Schedule Your Appointment
Click the button below to schedule your appointment online!